Sunday, May 11, 2014

Kidney Stones

What  Holistic or Natural Approach I would take if diagnosed with Kidney Stones
by Thomas Martin


The first thing I learned about kidney stones is that treatment for them varies wildly between humans and animals.  Traditionally, patients with kidney stones are told to reduce their intake of calcium, in other words, stop drinking milk and other milk products.  On the other hand, cattle is given even more calcium.   It appears the answer is actually somewhere between the two. 

Kidney stones are caused by oxalates in food.  Adding calcium citrate to meals will alleviate the problems with oxalates. 

So, having had a kidney stone attack in the past, I know the intense pain and discomfort and never want to experience it again.  Many of the steps necessary to prevent kidney stones are the same as listed in my latest book, Just Do This One Thing: A Guide To Chronic Good Health.  But, these are what I specifically do regarding kidney stones:
  • With each meal, I will take 300mgs of calcium citrate (do NOT take calcium carbonate)
  • I will take vitamin B6, 100 mgs per day
  • I will take cod liver oil, 2,000 to 4,000 per day
  • Magnesium Oil - preferably from Ancient Minerals, spritzing 15 shots or so a day onto my skin, probably just before bed.
  • Vitamin D3 - 5,000 to 10,000 IUs daily
  • Vitamin K2 - 1,000 to 2,000 mcgs daily
  • Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), sublingual, 5,000 mcgs daily.
  • I will take arginine, 2,000 mgs per day
  • I will take vitamin C, 5,000 mgs per day, spread throughout the day.
  • I will take either a probiotic capsule such as Bio-Kult or get the bacteria naturally through yogurt, fermented vegetables and kombucha
  • I will stop eating all sugar and sugar substitutes such as Splenda and aspartame.  I will not drink sodas, including diet sodas.
  • I will prepare the following each night and drink the liquid or "milk" the following day for ten to fifteen days:
    • 1/2 pound millet
    • 8 cups hot water
    • Pour hot water over millet and let soak during the night.  In the morning, separate the liquid from the millet and drink the liquid, as much as I can, as often as I can.  I will prepare the same mixture again each night for two weeks.
In my diet, I will avoid the following foods:

  • spinach
  • soy, including tofu
  • most nuts, especially pecans
  • black pepper
  • sweet potatoes

DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way recommending treatments or cures on this blog.  This blog is merely a compilation of what I have learned about a diet based, natural approach to health. I follow the steps I outline in my book Just Do This One Thing: A Guide To Chronic Good Health and know I will avoid almost every disease listed in this blog.  On the other hand, I needed a place to write steps for specific ailments as I came across them.  If you are looking for alternative therapies, I hope you can benefit from my research, especially if your doctor has told you "nothing more can be done for you." 

References:

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/the-role-of-oxalates-in-autism-and-chronic-disorders

No comments:

Post a Comment