by Thomas Martin
- Eat whole milk, organic yogurt every day. If possible, make your own using new culture for each batch. I make a half gallon of full fat milk yogurt each week. To make your own yogurt, you can get the Yogourmet maker and starter. Use only whole milk, preferably non-homogenized. If you can get raw, whole milk (as I do), use that. I will try to avoid most store bought yogurts as they contain a wide variety of non-essential chemicals and sugars.
- I will add fermented vegetables to my daily diet. Sauerkraut is the most common, but I make sure the brand I buy is fermented rather than pickled. Bubbies is a good brand. Non-pasteurized Korean Kim Chi is also a good choice. Again it is best to make my own. I mix cabbage, onions, carrots, parsley, garlic, ginger and cucumbers, let it ferment for a week, refrigerate and then add it to many of the foods I eat.
- I will take 10,000 IU of Vitamin D every day.
- Drink Kombucha daily. Kombucha is a fermented tea that provides my body with a good hit of probiotics. It is available in many specialty stores, one brand being “Synergy.” Although they look fruity and sweet, they are actually a bit sour to the taste. I can also make your own Kombucha – many sites on the web can tell me how.
I will take a probiotic tablet (such as Bio-Kult) daily,
I will take a GLA capsule daily,
I will take Cod Liver Oil Capsules (preferably Carlsom's), daily
I will take a zinc supplement, 50 to 100 mgs, daily
I will take raw, virgin coconut oil daily (starting with about 1 teaspoon and working up to 1 tablespoon)
I will take Betaine HCL tablets with each meal. Low stomach acid is often associated with people suffering from skin disorders as well as asthma. If I also have problems with heartburn or acid reflux, this step will make a huge difference.
- Eliminate all sugars from my diet – this includes all artificial sweeteners and especially all soda drinks. If I must use something sweet, I will use raw, organic honey (locally harvested, if possible) or real maple syrup.
- I will take Turmeric (Curcumin) daily.
- If I do all of these things and still suffer from skin problems, I will also try eliminating all wheat, corn and soy from my diet.
If the above steps did not work for me, especially if I had acne, I will also supplement my diet with Nutri-Meds Porcine Thyroid Health Capsules, one daily on an empty stomach.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way recommending treatments or cures on this blog. This blog is merely a compilation of what I have learned about a diet based, natural approach to health. I follow the steps I outline in my book Just Do This One Thing: A Guide To Chronic Good Health and know I will avoid almost every disease listed in this blog. On the other hand, I needed a place to write steps for specific ailments as I came across them. If you are looking for alternative therapies, I hope you can benefit from my research, especially if your doctor has told you "nothing more can be done for you."