Monday, April 14, 2014

Parkinson's Disease

What Holistic or Natural Approach I would Take if Diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease


by Thomas Martin




There is no disease of which I have a greater interest than Parkinson's Disease.  It has struck my family twice.  First it attacked my uncle and then later, my mother.  I watched my uncle deteriorate over a period of 30 years.  So I know firsthand what a horrible, devastating disease it is. 

In my early 50s, I was struck down with heart failure.  Just as with my uncle’s disease, the doctors had no reasons for the illness and their only solution was a heart transplant.  I decided to seek answers in holistic treatment.  I read obsessively, formulated a strategy and then found a doctor willing to work with me.  My persistence was rewarded as my heart failure reversed and I am back to a normal life.  I have written about my ordeal and path back to health in my book, “One Percent: My Journey Overcoming Heart Disease.”  As I have continued to read about natural, especially food-based cures and preventions for various ailments, my attention is especially peeked whenever I read something about Parkinson’s. 
So, I do not have the disease, but here are the first things I would do if diagnosed with it.  Many of these nutrients help preserve existing mitochondria in the body and aid in building new mitochondria as well:

  • CoQ10 (ubiquinol form) - 600 mgs daily
  • Magnesium Chloride (spritz about 15 shots on skin and rub in with your inner forearm just before bed)
  • Vitamin D3 - 10,000 iu daily
  • Carnosine - 1,500 mgs daily
  • PQQ (Pyrroloquinoline) - 60 mgs daily
  • Vitamin K2 - 2,000 mcgs daily (higher doses if necessary)
  • I will make fermented vegetables and eat about 1/3 cup daily.  My gut flora is likely out of balance.  This seems to be one of the most important steps.  If, for some reason, you are unable to ferment your own vegetables, buy Bubbies sauerkraut in the refrigerated section of some markets, such at Sprouts, or buy unpasteurized Kim Chi. 
  • Vitamin C - 5 grams daily
  • Vitamin B Complex - high potency
  • Coconut Oil  - 5 tablespoons daily (work slowly up to this level as coconut oil also acts as a laxative).  If necessary, mix with lemon juice (or raw apple cider vinegar) and raw, organic honey.
  • I will eliminate all Wheat, Corn and Soy from my diet. 
  • I will take Carlson's Cod Liver Oil Capsules daily,
  • Resveratrol  - 750 mgs daily
  • Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12)   - 1 mg (1,000 mcgs)  also daily
  • Creatine powder, 1/4 teas twice daily
  • I will eliminate all wheat, corn and soy from my diet. I will eat no gluten.
  • I will eliminate any food marked "diet" or "lite."  Ensuring I get NO artificial sweeteners in my diet
  • I will eliminate consuming MSG in my diet, checking food labels and asking restaurants in which I dine if they add this poison to their foods.
  • I will take Turmeric (Curcumin) daily

I will also eliminate the following toxins from my life:

Fluoride – buy and use a non-fluoridated toothpaste.  Tom’s of Maine makes several.  Fluoride is an industrial waste poison which has never been shown to reduce or prevent tooth decay.
Mercury – have all mercury amalgam fillings removed from your mouth by a dentist especially trained in this.   The amalgam bleed mercury into you system for decades following the implant.  Also avoid all vaccines (including flu shots) for they also contain mercury which is used as a preservative. 

Lead - check for lead warnings on bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Aluminum – Aluminum is most frequently found in antiperspirants.  Begin using a deodorant which does not contain aluminum.  Tom of Maine’s also makes these types of products.  Also get rid of all aluminum cooking pans as the aluminum leeches into the food as it cooks.
I will read “Minding my Mitochondria” and "The Wahl's Protocol" by Dr. Terry Wahls and begin the diet outlined in the book.  Dr. Wahl’s reversed her own Multiple Sclerosis (MS) through her diet. 

DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way recommending treatments or cures on this blog.  This blog is merely a compilation of what I have learned about a diet based, natural approach to health. I follow the steps I outline in my book Just Do This One Thing: A Guide To Chronic Good Health and know I will avoid almost every disease listed in this blog.  On the other hand, I needed a place to write steps for specific ailments as I came across them.  If you are looking for alternative therapies, I hope you can benefit from my research, especially if your doctor has told you "nothing more can be done for you." 





No comments:

Post a Comment