Friday, April 25, 2014

Psoriasis, Eczema, Acne, Rosacea

What Holistic or Natural Approach I would take  if diagnosed with Psoriasis, Eczema, Acne, or Rosacea



by Thomas Martin




The causes of most skin problems are the same:  a poorly functioning digestive system.  Foods are not fully digested and processed and then become toxic to the body.  The body tries eliminating the toxins through the skin, causing a variety of problems. 
Every time I see a young handsome boy or beautiful young girl with bad acne, I want to stop them and say “There is an answer, but you have to take responsibility and action yourself.” 
If I Change my diet and I will change my skin.  Also 70% of our immune system is in our gut.  Follow this path and I’ll likely notice fewer bouts with colds and flu as well. 
Here is what I will do.  I know the more steps I take, the better the results:
 
  • Eat whole milk, organic yogurt every day.  If possible, make your own using new culture for each batch.  I make a half gallon of full fat milk yogurt each week.  To make your own yogurt, you can get the Yogourmet maker and starter.  Use only whole milk, preferably non-homogenized.  If you can get raw, whole milk (as I do), use that.  I will try to avoid most store bought yogurts as they contain a wide variety of non-essential chemicals and sugars.
  • I will add fermented vegetables to my daily diet.  Sauerkraut is the most common, but I make sure the brand I buy is fermented rather than pickled.  Bubbies is a good brand.  Non-pasteurized Korean Kim Chi is also a good choice.  Again it is best to make my own.  I mix cabbage, onions, carrots, parsley, garlic, ginger and cucumbers, let it ferment for a week, refrigerate and then add it to many of the foods I eat. 
  • I will take 10,000 IU of Vitamin D every day.
  • Drink Kombucha daily.  Kombucha is a fermented tea that provides my body with a good hit of probiotics.  It is available in many specialty stores, one brand being “Synergy.”  Although they look fruity and sweet, they are actually a bit sour to the taste.  I can also make your own Kombucha – many sites on the web can tell me how.
  • I will take a probiotic tablet (such as Bio-Kult) daily,
  • I will take a GLA capsule daily,
  • I will take Cod Liver Oil Capsules (preferably Carlsom's), daily
  • I will take a zinc supplement, 50 to 100 mgs, daily
  • I will take raw, virgin coconut oil daily (starting with about 1 teaspoon and working up to 1 tablespoon)
  • I will take Betaine HCL tablets with each meal.  Low stomach acid is often associated with people suffering from skin disorders as well as asthma.  If I also have problems with heartburn or acid reflux, this step will make a huge difference.
  • Eliminate all sugars from my diet – this includes all artificial sweeteners and especially all soda drinks.  If I must use something sweet, I will use raw, organic honey (locally harvested, if possible) or real maple syrup.
  • I will take Turmeric (Curcumin) daily.
  • If I do all of these things and still suffer from skin problems, I will also try eliminating all wheat, corn and soy from my diet.

Ok, so maybe this isn’t the easiest path, but then success rarely is.  The road to optimal health is paved with persistence and tenacity!

If the above steps did not work for me, especially if I had acne, I will also supplement my diet with Nutri-Meds Porcine Thyroid Health Capsules, one daily on an empty stomach.




DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way recommending treatments or cures on this blog.  This blog is merely a compilation of what I have learned about a diet based, natural approach to health. I follow the steps I outline in my book Just Do This One Thing: A Guide To Chronic Good Health and know I will avoid almost every disease listed in this blog.  On the other hand, I needed a place to write steps for specific ailments as I came across them.  If you are looking for alternative therapies, I hope you can benefit from my research, especially if your doctor has told you "nothing more can be done for you." 

References/Reading:


http://onepercenthealth.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-beneficial-omega-6-farry-acid.html

http://onepercenthealth.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-benefits-of-zinc-essential-for.html

http://onepercenthealth.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-beneficial-omega-6-farry-acid.html


 

1 comment: